BOOM – Biao Biao

0654B197-AE4D-4706-B3FD-20FCBD72FD3E

This morning on NBC TODAY, host Hoda Kotb covered a beautiful story.

Hoda interviewed Muriel Bowser the Mayor of Washington DC who has recently adopted a baby girl.

Muriel shared her story of how this little baby has made her very successful and happy life complete.

Muriel explained how Hoda, who recently adopted a little girl herself, had inspired her.

Hoda in turn said that the actress Sandra Bullock who adopted a little boy had been her inspiration.

No doubt someone inspired Sandra and so on.

All this brought back memories of another Sandra that Krishna and I met when we arrived in Shanghai in 2001.

Our Sandra (Sandy) was a teacher at the US School and lived in the same complex as us.

We quickly became friends and Sandy shared that she, like many of the teachers, volunteered at the Shanghai Children’s Home. We decided to volunteer too.

Soon after Sandy told us she had filed all her papers and was planning to adopt a little baby. Sure enough about a year later her little girl came home.

Sandy was a single Mom in her forties like Muriel Bowser is today.

She was our inspiration. We filed our papers in June 2002 and in April  2003 we received the biggest blessing ever this photo from the Childrens Home introducing us to our very own Zhang Ming Biao aka as Biao Biao and now known as Aaron.

Blessing # 93 – Finding our Families

BOOM – Birch Beer & Butter Blocks

We are fortunate to live close to a Dutch Amish Community and to many great local farms.

The produce, baked goods, and deli selection that can be found at these stores and farm outlets is exceptional.

There are also some unusual items like Birch Beer that we haven’t tried yet, pickles , jams and huge blocks of butter.

Yesterday we had a bonanza shop at The Chesse Barn and at Yutzy Farm Market getting wonderful ham, salami, bacon, cheese and farm fresh zucchini and apples.

So yummy and such a shopping experience. It is really like taking a step back in time to the days of what’s in season and slicing fresh.

Blessing # 92 – Lovely Locals

BOOM – Beauty in a Big Brown Bag

04585C97-ED3F-49B5-BA10-92CB2059DF0D.jpegOne of my Mother’s favorite sayings was “beauty is in the eye of the beholder”.

She used this phrase most often when she didn’t like or approve of an item of clothing I’d just bought.

The phrase was also used now and then when I brought a boy home that she thought was not for me!!!

On our bargain hunt this weekend we came across a cute little sign at the front door of one house. The message is clear love sees the best.

We didn’t buy the sign but we did buy the Boy with Bunnies at this house.

At the next house we arrived just in time for a big brown bag sale. Here the deal was to pay $5 for the bag and then stuff it till it’s ready to burst with items up for sale.

We LOVE this thrill and we found much BEAUTY to stuff in the bag including a lovely old hot chocolate pot.

When we got home we found from a stamp on its bottom that it came from the Hotel Deshler. This hotel no longer exists but we discovered that once it was the fanciest hotel in Columbus.

So while this pot is not in the best condition the BEAUTY it has already brought us is the joy of unearthing the history of the Deshlers.

It also has a great new home in our dining room amidst a lot more items that some might call clutter but we call collections!!!!

D0CC9E5E-5068-4FDF-8D5A-AFC39C30D699.jpeg

Blessing # 91 – Charming C

BOOM – Boy & Bunnies

25DEC9D9-0DC6-40F5-9FE0-ED8AB2669427.jpeg

This weekend Krishna and I had great fun bargain hunting.

We only hit two tag sales and one garage sale but we struck gold at each one.

At the first tag sale everything was discounted by 75% so irresistible! The most precious find was a lovely little stone statue for the garden of a boy and two bunnies.

Its about a foot high so just big enough to be seen but not so big as to be unmovable.

The little guy bears a close resemblance to a certain person don’t you think?

C6ECAAAB-95FE-4C47-A10B-8D4C2D07AD9C.jpeg

Blessing # 90 – Specially Made for  Us

BOOM-BUCKS!

Yesterday was the first game of the college football season here in the USA. American football that is!!!

This is much loved throughout the country but here in Ohio football following is phenomenal.

The Ohio State University Team also know as the BUCKEYES, after the state Buckeye tree and its horse chestnut like fruit, are one of, if not THE, best team in the nation.

D1219178-FE46-4184-A1FD-00C90A983D74.jpeg

The OSU stadium hold 120000 fans and it is amazing to go there, hear the BEST band in the land play and watch a game.

It is also great to stay home and watch from the sofa! Have a beer and a few nachos or maybe a little party or two for the big games.

No fuss with parking and traffic just plenty of screaming from the couch.

Great win also at 77 to 31!!!!!

GO BUCKS!!!!!!!

Blessing # 89– Fall Fun

BOOM – Binding Beliefs

0610AC9E-0A4D-45BA-B2EE-DC07DD711068

Today’s Service for Senator McCain from The National Cathedral was very special.

His beautiful family and so many friends honored him with many powerful words and touching moments.

This was such a demonstration of USA unity and a moment to reflect on all that this country stands for.

How great though art!

Blessing # 88 – Brotherhood from Sea to Shining Sea

BOOM – Beak Business

E644D7F6-8C81-402C-B6AF-D6E1875443AB.png

The impact of plastic on wildlife has had wide press coverage in the past year.

We have seen what has happened to marine life and many people, companies and governments have made commitments to improve recycling schemes, explore alternative materials and reduce packaging.

This is very important and commendable. Each one of us has our part to play on this journey.

An issue our bird buddies are facing was in the news this week. This was new to me and something I’d never thought of.

Plastic rings used in many applications including around bottle necks can get stuck on birds beaks. This can be painful and deadly.

By simply snipping these rings we solve the beak problem.

Of course we should recycle the bottle and the ring but by taking this small additional step we ensure one problem is solved.

5C5DD4CE-A1DF-42DB-8E96-99F9257B951B.jpeg

Blessing # 87 – Moving in the Right Direction

BOOM – Bipartisanhip

8C1B2E0C-F5A9-41BA-815F-71E2FAD94C61

Such a beautiful ceremony today for the wonderful man Senator John McCain.

Vice President Biden said it clearly and so graciously when he spoke about his best friend.

Goodness and honor transcend politics.

Blessing #86 – A Good Man Is Home

BOOM – Bowl of Big Boys

371A9443-F057-4FED-A79C-978CB1AD867B

The humongous tomato plant that grew in the planter from seed has started to give us a harvest.

The tomatoes are called hierlooms and they are a bit of a funny multi-color and not the prettiest. They have the look of a cooking apple or a russet.

Am wondering, as supposedly tomatoes originally looked like this, is this why they were first called love apples in Europe. Anyone know?

Anyway these critters are very true to their promise and are indeed very BIG BOYS.

The biggest one was starting to pull the plant down so it had to be pluck. It weighs a full pound.

Behind it some other biggies were hiding and were close to being ready to tumble too.

Some have already been eaten and there were phenomenal, sweet and juicy and served along with some good mozzarella, basil and a few chopped onions. YUMMY

Blessing #85 – Hidden Treasure