BOOM – R is for Republic

558B8D1F-EB02-451F-9249-553F6150EA1A.jpegThis morning at Church, being the Sunday closest to July 4th, we sang America (My Country ‘Tis of Thee) and my absolute favorite the Battle Hymn of the Republic.

The Star Spangled Banner while written in 1814 during the Battle of Fort Sumpter only officially became the National Anthem in 1931. It was preceded by other hymns including America for most of the 19th century

It always amuses me that the music of America is the same as the National Anthem of the UK God Save The Queen. Wouldn’t it have been better for the new Republic to sing a different tune.

Perhaps the reason for the choice lies in the final line.

AE5621F8-E87E-4169-9136-21E4652ADD86.jpeg

Times have changed a lot on both sides of the Atlantic since independence was won and the Republic was created.

In the UK we no longer are the empire we were in the days of George III. However we have had the blessing of  stability over the past 67 years in a monarch who is truly gracious in every way and whose successors seem just as caring. Our Queen has done her upmost to bring Nations together and foster Commonwealth.

The Republic of the United States of America is now the superpower. A nation of great opportunity. The desired home of many seeking freedom and the American Dream of Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.

May that same light always shine just as bright for today’s pilgrims as it did for those so long ago!

Blessing #381 – United Nations